Thursday, January 14, 2010

Haitian casualties may be less than feared

The Red Cross is now estimating 45,000-50,000 dead. While still a horrible number, of course, it is substantially less than the initial fears of 100,000 dead or more. Thank God for that.

I continue to pray for survivors: the wounded, the homeless, the bereaved. I pray for those administering medical aid. I pray for the search and rescue teams. I pray for those who are transporting and distributing food, water, clothes, and other needed supplies.

The earth ceased to tremble,
and the rocks ceased to rend.
And the wailing of the people who were spared alive ceased,
and their mourning was turned into joy
and their lamentations into thanksgiving.
(3 Ne. 10:9-10)

That's not going to happen for some time yet, of course. But that's what I'm praying for.

In Christ's name, amen.

No comments: