Sunday, January 10, 2010

Bring my sons and daughters

The Old Testament reading in church today was from Isaiah 43, on which the hymn "How Firm a Foundation" is based. (We sang that hymn today as well, though it has a different tune in the Episcopal hymnal than in the LDS.) The theme of the reading was the gathering, which struck me because that theme has been on my mind lately.

Here are some selections from the passage (the text mostly from the NRSV, but with a few liberties).


Thus says the Lord,
who created you,
who formed you:

Do not be afraid,
for I have purchased your freedom.
I have called you by name;
I have claimed you.

When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
through the rivers,
they shall not overwhelm you.
When you walk through fire,
you shall not be burned,
and the flames shall not consume you.

For I am the Lord your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.
You are precious in my sight,
and honored, and I love you.

I will bring your offspring from the east,
and from the west I will gather you.
I will say to the north, "Give them up!"
and to the south, "Do not withhold!"

"Bring my sons from far away
and my daughters from the ends of the earth—
all who are called by my name,
whom I created for my glory,
whom I formed with my hands."

(Isaiah 43:1-7)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happened on your blog by accident but have enjoyed reading some of your musings. They have given me much to think about. I am a grandmother who would feel deep heartache had I a son or daughter who was homosexual and who feels deep heart ache for all the trials and heartaches my children and grandchildren suffer. And yet, in spite of all, I recognize that life is very good and all these things give us experience. You are a gifted young man and I wish you well.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
John-Charles Duffy said...

Anonymous--

I just saw the comment you posted. Thank you for taking the time to leave a note! God bless!