Sunday, April 17, 2011

Palm Sunday

I cantored at the Palm Sunday service today. It was held outdoors at a park not far from my apartment. Began with a procession down the street with palms. A different species of palm than usual: these were "eco-palms." Apparently the people who harvest them are committed to not overharvesting and destroying bird habitats, plus there's no middleman.

Oh, I almost forgot. I also read the part of Judas in the passion narrative. I've been Caiphas in the past. Something about me must seem appropriate to the villains' roles.

Palm Sunday is about disillusion, false hopes, shattered expectations. You think the longed-for day has come, the kingdom is here, you're marching forward in triumph... And then it all falls apart. The authorities swoop in, everyone's running scattered, hiding out in windowless rooms. The peg you'd hung your hopes on has collapsed. You were duped. Nothing's turned out the way you thought it was going to. You put your faith in the wrong people.

No comments: