Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter

Last night, Hugo and I attended the Easter vigil at a church in downtown Cincinnati. This morning, I attended the Easter service of a Community of Christ congregation.

At Community of Christ, they used a confessional liturgy based on a passage from 2 Nephi 2. When I went on my mission, part of that same passage appeared as my favorite scripture on the plaque they put up for me in my ward meetinghouse back at home. I liked it because it affirmed a doctrine of divine grace--this was just before Stephen Robinson popularized the concept.
How important it is to make these things known to the inhabitants of the earth:
that no flesh can dwell in the presence of God
except through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the holy Messiah,
who lays down his life, in the way of all flesh,
then takes it up again by the power of the Spirit,
so that he may bring about the resurrection of the dead.

Being himself the first to rise--
the firstfruits to God--
he will make intercession for the whole human family.
And because of his intercession,
all people will come to God,
to stand in God's presence
and be judged in truth and holiness.

(2 Nephi 2:8-10)

No comments: