Monday, March 21, 2011

Prophets at the Daily Show

The Daily Show just did one of the best bits I've seen from them: "Freedom Packages." UPDATE: Watch it here.

It stabbed at my conscience. It made me feel ashamed for my sense of self-congratulation: "We're doing the right thing in Libya: we're backing up people who are putting their lives on the line to resist dictatorship, and we're doing it the right way, as part of an international coalition," etc.

Now everything's more complicated for me. Not that I'm turning against the intervention in Libya. But I'm more inclined now to pray that this is the right thing with fear and trembling, not to pray for its success on the confident assumption that it is the right thing. And I'm feeling my complicity in the hypocrisies that are being enacted here, whatever good may come from it.

What I watched tonight was prophetic. It was a voice in the wilderness, criticizing the powers, calling for justice, using theater to drive home truths people don't want to see. God bless the Daily Show staff.

No comments: