Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Book of Mormon anniversary

(Follow up to "Plans for Book of Mormon anniversary")

Well, I didn't stay up til midnight; I was so tired by day's end, I suspected I wasn't going to make it, so I went out around 10:30 p.m. There was still too much activity, and too much light, to create the ambience I'd been hoping for. Next year, I'd like to actually drive a little ways out of town to do this.

Anyway, I got started by singing verses 1, 2, and 4 of "An Angel from on High." (I selected those verses because of their focus on themes of renewed revelation, the coming of Christ's reign, and light dispelling darkness, as contrasted to the gathering of Israel, which doesn't speak to me so much. In retrospect, though, I should have included verse 5 with its vision of Zion filling the earth with divine truth.) Then I read aloud to myself D&C 128:19-23. That was followed by several minutes of me alternately sitting silently and talking to God about the Book of Mormon, the Restoration, my relationship to the Latter Day Saint tradition. Then I finished up by singing "I Saw a Mighty Angel Fly," which I'd planned to end with, except I was having a good time so I went on to sing "What Glorious Scenes Mine Eyes Behold" ("This is the time, the chosen time") and "Awake, Ye Saints of God, Awake" ("Yea, like the Father and the Son, / Let all the Saints in union join") before I finally called it a night. Good stuff. When I came back into the apartment, I saw I'd been outside for a little over half an hour.

It wasn't a "superspiritual" experience, but well worth doing.

1 comment:

tpjewelry said...

The large range of diamond thomas sabo jewellery often makes it very difficult for men to decide thomas sabo what type of thomas sabo ireland to purchase for their loved ones. Diamonds symbolize love, thomas sabo charms and thomas sabo bracelet , which makes it hard to choose the right piece of jewellry from the large variety of Diamond rings, Diamond earrings, Diamond thomas sabo pendants, Diamond thomas sabo necklaces, Diamond bracelets and of course Loose diamonds- which are always perfect since they can be set in any type of silver jewellery . We can’t choose the perfect diamond thomas jewellery for you but we can help you with 5 easy steps:Step 1- Knowing what she likes:Narrow down the type of sterling silver charms she likes to wear by observing the jewelry she wears in general, and on different occasions.The thomas jewellery she wears may vary.For example, her daytime jewelry may be different from the silver bracelets she wears when she goes out or to formal occasions.Knowing the color and size of the jewelry she wears: