Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Health care debate: Deeper into the madness

Observing the lunatic paranoia on display in town hall meetings on health care reform, I am reminded of the Book of Mormon's warning about the judgment and disaster that await a nation "if the time comes that the voice of the people chooses iniquity" (Mosiah 29:27). As we see repeatedly in the Book of Mormon, I'm living in a time when wicked rulers and preachers are taking advantage of people's ignorance to stir them up to anger against what is good.

Listening to the demagoguery that has been unleashed against health care reform by politicians and conservative pundits, I have a fuming wish to "seal them up to the day when the wrath of God will be poured out on the wicked . . . when the Lord will come to . . . measure to every man according to the measure which he has measured to his fellow man" (D&C 1:9-10).
What mean you? You beat my people to pieces, and grind the faces of the poor.
(2 Ne. 13:15)

He saw great inequality among the people, some . . . turning their backs on the needy . . . and those who were sick and afflicted. Now this was a great cause for lamentations . . .
(Alma 4:12-13)
Call me radical. Call me naive. Call me uninformed. But the health care reform debate is that simple. God save us.

No comments: