Saturday, July 18, 2009

Iran update, and the Episcopal general convention

I was encouraged to read about former Iranian president Rafsanjani's Friday speech criticizing the crackdown on protesters. It's important for people at that level to voice solidarity with the protesters; it prevents the regime from dismissing dissenters so easily. It also helps to expose rifts among the elite, which in turn helps undermine the "taken for granted" quality of the dominant ideology.

And I was encouraged that so many people are still willing to come out to protest; I was afraid perhaps they had been cowed into submission.

Ignoring the reformists is increasingly not an option for the conservatives, it seems to me. They're either going to have to make concessions of some kind, or they're going to have to crack down ruthlessly. The terrifying question hanging in the air at this point is: Are the conservatives cruel enough to pursue the second option? Or will a glimmer of conscience prevail?

Earlier this week, I got to wondering why I've felt so invested in what's happening in Iran. I have a hunch it has to do with my own identification with a religion that has a history of theocratic aspirations, and with a church run by conservatives who have shown themselves willing to take relatively repressive measures against dissent (e.g., secret files, firings). As an addendum to the much larger good it would do for Iranians and the Middle East, a shift toward a somewhat more progressive government in Iran would be a sign of hope for a more progressive Mormonism.

************

Also in the news this week: the Episcopal church's general convention approved the ordination of gays and lesbians and the blessing of same-sex unions. As someone who's been worshipping with Episcopalians for several years, including participation in the Utah chapter of Integrity (the Episcopal ministry for and with gays and lesbians), I've been frustrated by what's seemed to me like the church's waffling on these issues. They were all so excited and pleased with themselves about Gene Robinson's ordination—until Anglicans elsewhere in the world started breathing out threatenings, a turn of events that seemed to take American Episcopalians by surprise, at which point the Episcopalians started wringing their hands about preserving the unity of the communion and backed off. It was maddening. I felt like: Either you people lack the foresight to have anticipated the inevitable conflict your full acceptance of gays and lesbians would occasion, or you're fair-weather liberals who lack the gumption to stand by your principles; either way, I'm not impressed.

From this latest round of resolutions (cautious though they be in a way), it looks like the majority have resolved to screw their courage to the sticking place. My sense is that the moderates have finally realized that their efforts to meet the conservatives halfway are doomed to fail since the conservatives won't settle for a meeting halfway. A schism seems inevitable, but it will have to be the conservatives who initiate it—they will, of course, blame the liberals, but it will be the conservatives, not the liberals, who actually turn around and walk away. A vindictive part of me I'm not proud of is pleased that after all the times, as a Mormon, I've seen religious conservatives expel or pressure liberals to leave, now I get to witness a case of conservatives getting something that approaches a taste of that medicine. I need to pray for forgiveness for enjoying that.

************

God of justice,
God of love,
God of hope,
Maker of wonders,
Healer of wounds—

I pray for the protesters in Iran.
I give thanks for their courage and continuing resolve.
I pray for a shift that will give moderates and reformists greater influence in that country.

I give thanks for the Episcopal Church's witness for and with gay and lesbian people.
I pray for those who are frustrated or angered or grieved by this development.
I confess my vindictiveness.
I pray for that love which you bestow on all who strive to follow your Son.

In Christ's name, amen.

No comments: