Sunday, June 7, 2009

Apocalypse: What it boils down to

The theme for my readings this week, from the D&C/Church history curriculum, was the second coming and the disasters prophesied to precede it. My approach to the reading was to boil down all the gory detail to what it seems to me is the point of all this business about the moon turning to blood and people's eyes falling out of their sockets. So for my entry today, let me make a list of the phrases I underlined from the reading, where I sensed the Spirit was saying to me, "Here—here's what it's all about."

An end to evil

  • that wickedness shall not be upon the earth (29:9)
  • the wicked shall not stand (29:11)
  • abominations shall not reign (29:21)
  • the cup of mine indignation is full (29:17) Translation: God says, "Enough!"
  • Satan shall have no more place in people's hearts (45:55)
A new world order
  • there shall be a new heaven and a new earth (29:23)
  • all old things shall pass away, and all things shall become new (29:24)
  • the earth shall reel to and fro, and the heavens shall also shake (45:48) Translation: Everything will be shaken up.
  • all things shall be in commotion (88:91) Translation: The coming of the new order requires the upheaval of the old.
Christ's will be done
  • I shall come with power and great glory (34:7)
  • the promises which have been made will be fulfilled (45:35)
  • the Lord shall be in their midst, and his glory shall be upon them (45:59)
  • that my knowledge and glory may dwell upon all the earth (101:25)
  • the Lord shall reign over all flesh (133:25)
Retain hope!
  • I am with you until I come (34:11) Note: I've read passages along that line so often I don't blink at them; but when you think about it, that statement is profoundly paradoxical.
  • people's hearts shall fail them (45:26) Translation: People will feel like giving up hope.
  • be not troubled (45:35)
Vindication for the disempowered
  • they that have laughed shall see their folly (45:49)
  • the weak shall confound the wise (133:58)
  • my arm was not shortened that I could not redeem, neither my power to deliver (133:67)
Peace established
  • they shall be the only people that shall not be at war one with another (45:69)
  • the enmity of all flesh shall cease (101:26)
A day of rejoicing
  • they shall come to Zion singing with songs of everlasting joy (45:71)
  • they shall be filled with songs of everlasting joy (133:33)
A day of enlightenment
  • prepare for the revelation which is to come (101:23)
  • the Lord shall reveal all things, hidden things which no one knew (101:32-33) Likening that to myself: So we'll finally learn why God gives some people a homosexual sexual orientation and where we fit in the great plan.
  • thou doest things they look not for (133:43) Translation: God does the unexpected.
Three more things I want to comment on:

First, I was grabbed by D&C 45:57, which says that those who are able to stand at the great day will be those who "have taken the Holy Spirit for their guide." That's the most important thing: follow the Spirit, follow your personal revelation.

Second, I don't really know yet what to make of it, but I was intrigued by the expression, "Go ye out to meet him" (133:19). I feel drawn to think more about what it means to translate that injunction into real-world action. What does it mean to "go out" to "meet" the coming Christ? My initial hunch is that it has to do with getting outside of myself, stepping out of my comfort zone... I need to think about this more.

Finally, after all the perversely satisfied and satisfying fantasies of cosmic calamity and demolition and your enemies' eyes falling out of their sockets (D&C 29:19—I loved that verse as a deacon for all the wrong reasons); after all that, or beyond all that, or buried underneath all that, what I think apocalypse is supposed to come down to is this:
Now the year of my redeemed is come;
and they shall mention the loving kindness of their Lord,
and all that he has bestowed upon them
according to his goodness,
and according to his loving kindness,
forever and ever.

In all their afflictions, he was afflicted.
And the angel of his presence saved them;
and in his love, and in his pity,
he redeemed, and bore them,
and he carried them all the days of old.
(D&C 133:52-53)

1 comment:

tpjewelry said...

The large range of diamond thomas sabo jewellery often makes it very difficult for men to decide thomas sabo what type of thomas sabo ireland to purchase for their loved ones. Diamonds symbolize love, thomas sabo charms and thomas sabo bracelet , which makes it hard to choose the right piece of jewellry from the large variety of Diamond rings, Diamond earrings, Diamond thomas sabo pendants, Diamond thomas sabo necklaces, Diamond bracelets and of course Loose diamonds- which are always perfect since they can be set in any type of silver jewellery . We can’t choose the perfect diamond thomas jewellery for you but we can help you with 5 easy steps:Step 1- Knowing what she likes:Narrow down the type of sterling silver charms she likes to wear by observing the jewelry she wears in general, and on different occasions.The thomas jewellery she wears may vary.For example, her daytime jewelry may be different from the silver bracelets she wears when she goes out or to formal occasions.Knowing the color and size of the jewelry she wears: